04/24 -- 9.00 pm Dubai ST


Sitting here in heaven at the Dubai International airport... By heaven, I mean I have all the 3 ingredients of a loner's heaven -- laptop, internet connection and power outlet... I tried every power converter that I carried, none seem to work... Eventually, just the regular laptop plug works... 


The flight from DC to Dubai was crazy... The food was horrible as usual... Luckily I was in the aisle seat of a 2 seat column... So I had enough room for myself, but still did not have to get up as many times... 


There was a contingent of Bangladesh sportspersons and I have never seen any group in a flight being any louder... Two of them were in the same row right across the aisle and one of them wanted to go to the bathroom as soon as the plane started taxi... He asked the same Q to their leader, who chose to sit atleast 10 rows away from the rest of the gang, atleast 20 times in 15 minutes -- Madam, Bathroom... she would never reply... Eventually, after the flight took off, the stewardess let them go... They chose to keep chatting in the loudest possible Bangla for the entire duration of 13+ hours... 


Whether I am sitting in a plane or or a train or a bus or a car or a bike, as long as I am not driving, I can sleep as soon as the vehicle starts moving... Today, thanks to the Bangladeshi gang, my virtue was tested... But after struggling for the initial 30 minutes, I could sleep nicely... I would wake up only when food was served... I passed on the paneer tikka (lunch) and aloo paratha (breakfast) and survived on apple juice... 


Got up in time to see the movie "Up in the air"... Pun not intended but it was a very sweet movie... I am seeing this movie for the 2nd time and enjoyed it equally the second time... The importance of doing dirty work with dignity is very nicely underlined in this movie... Reminded me of Amitabh in lakshya when he explains to his platoon -- even if you are fighting the enemy, it should be done with a certain level of dignity... How true and very nicely depicted in the movie... 


Dubai Airport is everything that I had expected of... Unimaginably huge... Beautiful architechture... Every signboard in English and Arabic... Sheikhs in their white tunics and red head scarfs with hoards of burkha-clad wives tagging along... Indian labourers in groups of 10s trying to figure out where to go... 


The lavishness of the duty free gold shops messemerizes you... This is the only time in my trip when I feel happy that S is not with me... The watch showrooms of Omega and Tag Heur made my casio look like a Maruti 800 in front of a Merc... Grabbed a cuban black rum for my B-I-L from the duty free alcohol store... 


Another funny incident, this time at security check... Like the US practice, I removed my laptop and placed it in a separate tray... Backpack goes in the next tray... Then I removed my shoes, watch, wallet, cell phone... The guard at the security gate gave me a bewildered look... As soon as I removed my belt, he thought I am going to strip down and immediately rushed to tell me that all this is not needed... The security rules in Dubai are very lax and the US stringent measures are not needed at all... I felt like a fool, all over again... 


This flight is going to be interesting... Almost full... 95% of them being Indians... Heard good things abt Emirates Airlines... Lets see how well they do... 

No comments: