SAME FRUIT, NEW FLAVOR

Have you ever eaten a fruit and found a new flavor every time you take a bite? And find that every new flavor is more delicious and intriguing that the previous one?


As a kid, I grew up listening to stories of Ramayan and Mahabharat from my grandma. Thanks to Ramanand Sagar and B. R. Chopra, these stories were realized during my teenage years. I had a perception of most of the characters, especially from Mahabharat, and carried that perception for a long time.


Until I landed up and read this series by Prem. Mahabharat from the point of view of Bheem. I have posted this link so many times on my blog, but I can not get over it. It cleansed B. R. Chopra's Mahabharat and brought a very realistic and feasible flavor of Mahabharat in front of me. I relished the Monday-Thursday episodes of the series and thoroughly enjoyed reading it.


And when I was relishing every chapter from this book, S gave me another flavor of this fruit when she gifted me this book. Chitra Banerjee rewrites Mahabharat this time, from the view point of Draupadi. She has done a very good job, but Prem has set the bar too high to match up.


The book explains so many things about the epic, but the one which I liked the most was the chain of thoughts in Draupadi's mind. How she despised being a shallow princess and a trophy wife, her special bond with Krishna and her hidden craving for Karna and how she regretted everything that happened and how she unwillingly ended up being the central character in the whole saga.


Another image crashed this time and a better, more beautiful, image has been created. The new flavor of the old fruit is even more delicious now.


Cant wait to read Mrityunjaya now -- Mahabharat from the point of view of Karna.

3 comments:

sonpari said...

Nikhil, 'Mrityunjaya' is awesome but also read 'Radheya'. Radheya is Karna's point of view. I have read it multiple times!! What a great character but life dealt him tough hand... he played it with utmost integrity though!!

NR said...

@ sonpari -- If I can lay my hands on it, definitely YES!!!

Mithun said...

You can add 'Yuganta' to the list as well.