LET IT GO?

This is probably a part of growing up... up the corporate ladder... 


A few weeks back when I was talking to my manager about her experiences when she climbed the ladder, she said that the most difficult part was compromising on a few things which she never wanted to... 


She was an ace developer... Her coding was flawless... When she became a manager, she could only tell WHAT needed to be done and not HOW it should be done... Basically, the focus on "getting it done SOMEHOW" instead of "getting it done PERFECTLY"... 


I am in the same boat now... Only escalated stuff comes to me... Something that is way overdue before it has come to me... And at that time, I have to get it done from someone else... So there is no room what so ever to get it done perfectly... 


In her words -- a badly baked cake delivered on time is better than a superbly baked cake delivered late -- and its so true... "Time to market" is so important in today's market... 


But for someone who puts so much pride in the quality of his work, letting go his high standards is too difficult to digest... Probably, every good developer faces this conundrum when he/she takes the next step... Anyone who scales this base, is ready for the journey further up... 


Now is the real test for me... Am I ready for the journey up or do I just want to keep cleaning this base?



1 comment:

Sharath said...

I understand buddy. Am sailing in the same boat too. Sometimes I wonder, are we just working for the bread or to deserve the bread we earn. Dont know...